larryheader

« Home | Day of Fire » | Back From Retreat! » | RETREAT! » | Got My Halo 2 Groove On » | Four More Years! » | Get Your Vote On » | War Has Never Solved Anything!? » | Rockin Joel! » | Meterosexual!? » | Lost and Found » 

Friday, December 03, 2004 

Has Bose gone mad?!

I read an article today about a new system that Bose made called the "personalized amplification system". This concept kind of blows my mind. I guess growing up in a world of garage bands and basement parties It kind of seems too simple. I read up on it and am impressed with the theory of it. Yet I am very skeptical. I guess the term "too good to be true" comes to mind. I mean, for a gig to sound good you have to break your back hauling in the equipment...right? Anyway, this system is supposed to eliminate the need for a sound board, amplifiers, monitors, and everything else associated with "electrifying" a band. I don't know about that. There is a local band in Columbus that uses this system. I think I am going to have to go and check them out soon because this is going to bug me until I hear the results for myself. If you are a musician and are interested, go to Bose Personal Amplification System I would love to here what this sounds like live.

Josh probably already told you, but I went to Guitar Center in Cincy a few weeks back and played around with the demo system they have there. I must say that I was impressed with the sound quality and the equality found throughout the room. However, I was playing an Taylor 614CE acoustic (a good sounding acoustic) through it, in a very acoustically friendly acoustic guitar room that wasn't much bigger than a small bedroom. I talked to the rep they had there for a while and he said that it is a great system for coffee shops where you have a vocal and an acoustic, but doesn't work real well with bigger bands. Drums are a particular problem, and almost exclusively reserved for electronic drums as live drums acoustically saturate a room all by themselves. He said they had a Guitar Center rep meeting in Cali a while back and brought in a band, which used electronic drums and the venue was about 200 person. He said it sounded great but anything bigger the volume levels drop off drastically.

Anyhow...that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge. I'd use it in a heart beat if I were playing by myself or with another acoustic in a very small venue (coffee house or something)...a real cut and dry system, that is entirely too expensive for the average person to purchase. Maybe in a few years.

I think it's a great idea for, as Joel said, small venues. I really don't see it being possible for it to work anywhere larger than that but it is an awesome idea and could really take off if small bands could afford it!

Larry has tuna breath!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Larry
  • From Springfield, Ohio, United States
  • I am a Husband, a Father, a Youth Pastor. All of which is my calling and my passion.
My profile
www.flickr.com
tank_lo's photos More of tank_lo's photos
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates